[lbo-talk] thoughts about kerry and the election

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 10 08:19:44 PDT 2004

1) Nathan, you say Kerry's position on the war has been clear and consistent. He was for removing Saddam but against Bush's refusal to exhaust diplomacy and build an alliance. But go back to the start of the war - Feb-March 2003. Kerry didn't declare that this is a bad idea because diplomacy needs more time and we should first have allies. He could have done that and nobody could later accuse him of changing his position. Instead, he said Saddam has lost his last chance to disarm and now time's up and I'm glad we're going in. Not only that - at the time, Holbrooke was berating the French for being unreasonable and obstructionist. How does that fit into the "build alliances" position? His whole position has been calculated to build in maximum wiggle room and bow to (it turns out, miscalculated) political winds. The fact is, Bush barrelled into an invasion at a time when it was quite unpopular and then constantly jawboned it to build support - which was appalling but at least smacks of "leadership" - whereas Kerry's rhetoric has indisputably vacillated between standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Bush and accusing Bush of screwing everything up. If you were running Bush's campaign, wouldn't you be happy at how easy it is to characterize Kerry's position as flimsy and almost scholastic -- being in favor of the "essence" of removing Hussein, while blasting the "conjunctoral choices" (retrospectively).

2) I doubt Kerry could gain anything now by being forthrightly antiwar. Not only would he be even more of a flip-flopper, but he would probably alienate more votes than he'd win. The fact is, the time for educating the public ended a long time ago. You can't reeducate 300 mil. people in 6 weeks. Had Kerry and the Dem leadership denounced the war - or even just the way Bush fought it - *at the time it started* , and then stuck to it, they would have gotten much more credit once the the "anti-war" posish (or "anti-this-war" posish) became vindicated Instead, the mess in Iraq ended up hurting Bush without making the Dems look much better.

3) It's true that the Freepers are more on-message than us, but do we really want to be like them? We're a bunch of leftists talking to each other on email. There's no need to rehearse the talking points here, who are we trying to persuade?

4) The idea that Bush's lead shows America is an irevocably conservative country doesn't make sense. A month ago Kerry was leading in all the polls. The question is, why has Bush taken the lead? The answers, I think, are: (1) Swift boat and (2) Bush's convention. The real question is why was the right so successful with those two, especially first, which could easily have backfired. And could the Dems replicate that kind of thing, and would they want to?

Seth