[lbo-talk] law

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Sep 10 10:33:33 PDT 2004

Charles Brown wrote:

>Or Citizen A was driving his car negligently, carelessly, and his negligence
>caused injury to another person. He knows full well that he was being
>careless. He regrets it but, he knows he was. So, he just voluntarily sends
>$4000.00 to the injured person, because he has so much respect for the way
>Judge Cardoza was influenced by democratic procedures or embodied democratic
>procedures when he derived the doctrine of foreseeability and the Palsgraf
>test for negligence.

Funny you should mention that case and amount. Seven years ago, when my son was 13, he took my car (without my knowing) and plowed it into a parked car. He was not cited at the site. My insurance did not cover it because he did not have my permission to drive the car. The damage to the car amounted to 4000$, which I paid to the woman a few weeks later.

Why? Because it was the right thing to do.

Joanna