[lbo-talk] Re New Economist Poll: Bad News For Bush

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Sep 10 14:02:19 PDT 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> PS. The self-righteousness of many lefties to bitterly oppose fellow
> travelers for real and perceived heresies is quite annoying, indeed,
> but
> is a product of US political and religious culture. That tendency
> seems
> to be quite widely spread in the US society.

Uh, Wojtek, I don't think this is confined to American lefties. Seems to me I've heard a few tales about heresy hunts in the European left, too. In fact, I've heard rumors (probably vile anti-communist calumnies, I suppose) that Stalin, for example, used to have people he pronounced heretical shot, which the U.S. left rarely does, at least these days.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)