[lbo-talk] New CBS Poll: Bad News For Kerry(Powerless religious right?)

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Sep 10 16:05:20 PDT 2004

Chuck0 wrote:

> I see no use in being dishonest about this. I understand that the
> American left inflates the threat of the religious right to keep the
> funds flowing in from scared liberals, but I'm more interested in a
> level-headed understanding of the political terrain. It's not
> worthwhile to refight battles that have already been won. It's also
> important for us to talk about why the religious right lost the
> culture wars and the factors that caused their movements to wane or
> become defunct.

I'm not being rhetorical, but could you tell me more about how they lost? I'd love to feel good for ten minutes: vouchers have been introduced, there are fewer and fewer places where women can get an abortion, racism is back and it's fashionable, and the folks who have their finger on the button are ardently praying for rapture.

What am I missing? Please, I want to know.

Thanks,

Joanna