[lbo-talk] A question I was asked, and another I've got for Doug

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 11 13:10:29 PDT 2004

John Adams wrote:

>Second, the one I have for Doug: I'm reading _One Market Under God_
>right now, and am finding Frank's connection of counter-culture
>figures with market populism intriguing (if not universally
>convincing--kinda like reading Ehrenreich on the Beats).

Yeah, I think Tom overdoes this a bit - there was some counter in the counterculture, and the cultural changes it promoted have had a lasting and mostly good impact.

> I'm curious about _After the New Economy_ (which I haven't turned
>up a copy of yet--gimme time), in which I know you have some
>criticisms of Green fundamentalism. It occurs to me that some of the
>justifications for market populism run parallel to Green
>fundamentalism, where conditions are justified on the grounds that
>they resemble nature or occur in nature. Do you explicitly draw this
>comparison in _After the New Economy_?

Not really. I criticize neoprimitivism in its various forms, and small-is-beautiful localism, but don't make the nature-as-model argument. Wish I did.

Doug