[lbo-talk] Re: law/retributivism

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sat Sep 11 14:27:04 PDT 2004

Justin wrote:

> The point that thae anti-retributivists on the lists
> are not geting is that the idea that those who do ill
> should be made to suffer is not an endorsement of
> howling mob violence or torture or perpetual
> inaceration under bright lights.

This has nothing to do with the argument I pointed to. It derives the unreasonableness of any form of making others suffer retributively from assumptions about human being. Those assumptions are found in the passages from Marx I quoted to demonstrate the difference between Marx's assumptions and Arrow's.

How can they be made to produce a justification for making others suffer retributively i.e. how can the assumption that rational self-consciousness would desire a life creating and appropriating beauty and truth within relations of mutual recognition justify any form of retributively inflicting suffering?

Ted