[lbo-talk] Re:(Powerless religious right?)

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sun Sep 12 09:28:59 PDT 2004

Hi,

-----Original Message----- From: John Thornton [mailto:jthorn65 at mchsi.com] Sent: Fri 9/10/2004 6:09 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Cc: Subject: [lbo-talk] Re:(Powerless religious right?)

>I see no use in being dishonest about this. I understand that the American
>left inflates the threat of the religious right to keep the funds flowing
>in from scared liberals, but I'm more interested in a level-headed
>understanding of the political terrain. It's not worthwhile to refight
>battles that have already been won. It's also important for us to talk
>about why the religious right lost the culture wars and the factors that
>caused their movements to wane or become defunct.
>
>Chuck Munson
>Infoshop.org

Conservative White Christian evangelicals were 32% of the Bush vote in 2000. While some liberals use hyperbolic language to describe these folks, it they were not powerful, Ashcroft would not be Attorney General. The Christian Right is a powerful force in American politics. I am in Madison, WI at a conference on the history of Print and Religion in the U.S. From progressive to conservative, religious to secular, the attendees would dispute the claim that the Christian right lacks power.

Chip Berlet