[lbo-talk] Re: law/retributivism -- Morer Marxology

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 12:02:24 PDT 2004

Jim, you seem to think that Marx is some sort of hard determinist metaphysician enagged in philosophical analysis, arguind that retributivism presupposes a false metaphysical docreine of free will as opposed to the true metaphysical doctrine of determinism, which undermines attributions of responsinility That seems to me so far from Marx's rejection of philosophy as to be totally off base. Marx rejects philosophy as ideology quite early; he never reasons like that, and does not do so here. On the contrary, I thonk insofar as he has a metaphysics he finds the Hegelian one "attractive," he says so, but says that it is merely abstract and that the defect in it is not that human behavior is abstractly determined, but that in class society, concretely speaking, the Hegelian docrtrine ignoresd the extent to which the ruling class control of the law ,makes it a mistake to talk about the self-determination of will thjat would make the imposition of punishment the criminal's own free act.