[lbo-talk] Marxology and Distributive Principles (Digression)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Sep 13 11:22:19 PDT 2004

The question whether the Tribune's translator erred in using "specious" rather than "seductive" for "Bestechendes" makes a distinction without a difference. And it is clearly erroneous to take Marx's use of the word "abstract"--twice--to constitute acceptance of that theory in the context of the concrete social reality that has remained virtually unchanged (except for replacing the hangman with the lethal-injection-administering "doctor") from his day to ours. But the crucial statement in Marx's article that totally rejects any concept of punishment as revenge (euphemized as "retributionism') is this:

"This theory... is only a metaphysical expression for the old jus

talionis...Plainly speaking, and dispensing with all paraphrases,

punishment is nothing but a means of

society to defend itself against the infraction

of its vital conditions, whatever may be their character."

Social self-defense is compatible with the deterrent example, rehabilitative, and exclusionary rationales for punishment. It excludes the retributivist rationale.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)