[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless religious right?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 13 16:31:49 PDT 2004

Chuck0 wrote:

>Some will argue that Bush is the avatar of the religious right. This
>is fallacious because his agenda is that of the secular wing of the
>conservative ruling class. He has done very little to advance the
>ideas and goals of the traditional religious right. No more so than
>what happened under Bill Clinton.

Without thinking too hard, I come up with: the war on Iraq, provoked in significant part by millennarian Christian thinking and the certainty that God put Bush in office to fight a holy war; the imperious attitude towards information, criticism, and dissent, provoked in significant part by the same set of religious influences; the policies on abortion and stem-cell research; the idiotic gay marriage amendment; subsidies to religious entities under the rubric of "faith-based initiatives"; the related war on public schools; Ashcroft's war on porn....

Doug