[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless religious right?

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 13 17:34:17 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Chuck0 writes:

> The vote in Missouri was against *gay marriage*, a concept that isn't
supported by all queers and has been the subject of criticism by queers who argue that the gay weddings around the country have been too much, too fast.

There are also queers who believe we should all stay in the closet so as not to upset straight people. There will always be sexual uncle toms who want to lick massa's boots and not rock the boat.

> The vote in Missouri cannot be used as a generalization to say that most
Missourians hate gay people.

So they persecute queers out of respect and compassion? LOL. Just like Missourians loved blacks during Jim Crow. Hate is hate and 71% says a lot.

> In fact, there are many people who support queer rights and civil unions,
but are uncomfortable with the idea of gay marriage.

Okay, they are for queer rights, but against queer marriage. I guess marriage isn't a right.

> This 'mobilization' was not pushed by grassroots activists from the
religious right

As the woman who ran the Coalition to Protect Marriage in Missouri said after the vote: "I'm just going to go forward," she said, "doing what Jesus wants me to do."

Guess she was referring to that other Jesus.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister