[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless Religious Right?

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 14 06:31:48 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Miles writes:

> Let's keep things in historical perspective: as recently as 1970,
homosexuality was officially diagnosed as a symptom of mental illness, and people in the U. S. were forced to undergo aversion therapy to "cure" them of their sexual disorder.

Now it is called reparative therapy -- same idea, different package.

Here is more information on these vile people:

http://narth.com/index.html

Heterosexists just got slicker.

> I agree that we still live in a heterosexist society, but
it is far from true that the perspective of the religious right has been "absorbed" by our society.

Then why all the fuss and opposition to gay marriage?

Why do so few states have laws protecting queers' civil rights?

Why 71%?

As far as I can tell, no measurable harm has been demonstrated to ensue from queer civil rights or queer marriage. Since no harm has been shown to exist, what is this overwhelming hostility based on if not the mainstreaming of religious hostility to queers?

> Every generation in the U. S. over the past century is
more humane and more tolerant of sexual differences than the generation before, the bloviating of the religious right notwithstanding.

Is that why we are now getting laws/amendments passed againsts queer because the country is becoming more tolerant?

Wow, as a queer I must be wired for a different brand of logic.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister