[lbo-talk] The Rise of a Satanic Right?

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 06:52:08 PDT 2004

AlterNet: The Rise of a Satanic Right? http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/19848

The Rise of a Satanic Right? By Michael Ordoña, AlterNet Posted on September 13, 2004

Did John Kerry fight not only Viet, but Vampire Cong in the Mekong Delta? Is the GOP considering replacing Dick Cheney on the ticket with the zombified corpse of Ronald Reagan? Is the Bush family, along with Martha Stewart, embroiled in a satanic plot to take over the world?

Recently, artists in various media have taken to casting the foes of the Democratic party as monsters. Literally. With so many voters dismissing the Democrats as the lesser of two evils, these characterizations call Republicans the much, much more evil of two evils, - think Barbara Bush (the elder) pulling a baby's head out of a gory sheep bladder - as if to say to conservatives, "You think we're godless and immoral? Well, you worship Satan!"

One of the milder portraits of the "Satanic Right" is in the Image Comics series, Sword of Dracula, which concerns a government agency that hunts vampires. The current issue (#5) includes a brief scene with a courageous swift boat captain helping to track Dracula himself in Vietnam, circa 1968. The soldier is only identified as a lieutenant who once chased on foot a Viet Cong fighter who had fired on his boat with a rocket launcher, but series creator Jason Henderson acknowledges the character's identity.

"I chose [Sen. John] Kerry because Sword of Dracula is about what good can be done when many nations work together - the heroes of the comic are a multinational force," said Henderson. "Kerry's message of strength through multinational respect and co-operation fit well with that."

GOP supporters are unimpressed by this latest account of Kerry's tour of duty (which one might argue is at least as truthful as that in the "swift boat" ads). Audrey Mullen, a partner at Republican public relations firm Advocacy Ink in Washington, D.C., says, "I don't know anyone on the right who has the spare time to indulge in [comic books], but maybe this is how Democrats reach their base. We, on the other hand, have National Review." snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/19848 ================================