[lbo-talk] categories

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Tue Sep 14 11:56:56 PDT 2004

The income list does not come close to even income categories even for Yale ("category bias" is well known surveying technique used to skew results in a certain direction--setting up the set of choices so to get people to answer disproportionately a particular way). My humbler alma mater does the same thing on a much more subdued scale than Yale. There is also a bias toward thinking of "proving yourself" to Yale by answering as if the information was to be made public.

There may be some university PR benefit if they can advertise to prospective students that x% make x kajillion. There may be an indirect benefit to development appeals (ok, I said I made 500K so I better send them a few bucks). There also may be some direct benefit for the commercial appeal of the directory itself if they can say this a upper income marketing gold mine (maybe they can offer 24k gold skulls with diamond encrusted eyes).

Peace,

Jim

"Now you can say that I've grown bitter but of this you may be sure The rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor And there's a mighty judgement coming, but I may be wrong You see, you hear these funny voices In the Tower of Song"

-Leonard Cohen