[lbo-talk] plagiarism epidemic

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Tue Sep 14 12:26:50 PDT 2004

I am not sure how it factors into the other reasons you mentioned but I think that the increasing distancing between "authorship" and who actually does the writing increases the chance of "plagiarism". In the academic world, an "author" may not to write a single word, or at least any of the first draft, of a piece. There then is a whole range of "authorship" options open to academics which increases the possibility of unintended and plagirized text to enter in (most do give "co-authorship" to junior colleagues but some get away with simple acknowledgements). I have no idea if there are non-academic writers that do this. Shepard blames his RA.

Peace, Jim

A fox may steal your hens, Sir, A Whore your health and Pence, Sir, Your daughter rob your Chest, Sir, Your Wife may steal your Rest, Sir, A Thief your Goods and Plate, A Thief your Goods and Plate. But this is all but picking, With Rest, Pence, Chest, and Chicken, If ever was decreed, Sir, If Lawyer's Hand is fee'd, Sir. He steals your whole Estate, He steals your whole Estate.

-John Gay, The Beggar's Opera (1728)