[lbo-talk] first gay marriage, then polyamory

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Tue Sep 14 20:13:28 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> A few years ago, an old neighbor of Liza's started a "polyamorous
> lesbians of color" group, a real precise demographic if there ever
> was one. It'd be nice to track her down and see how things were
> going.

Bully for her and hers... but my brain is too simple to handle any more than one spouse.

I'm sure it relates to the fact that the 2-body problem is solvable but the n-body (n > 2) problem is not. Pertubation theory is of no help when the bodies are all roughly of the same size (psychologically even if not physically).

"For the 3-body problem, 9 integrals were needed for a complete solution. In 1892, *Heinrich Bruns* (1848-1919) showed that not all of them can be expressed in a closed form and that small perturbations can cause the series to change from convergence to divergence. In 1913, *Karl Sundham* of Finland accomplished what the Oscar II Contest asked for. He got a convergent series for the 3-body problem but the convergence was so slow that it is really useless. In the 1960s, *Stephen Smale* (1930-)of the US showed that dynamical systems (e.g. the 3-body problem) can be understood in terms of topological transformations. Advances in Perturbation Theory is made by *Richard Feynman* (1918-1988), who introduced his Feynman Diagrams to simplify the working. In 1991, *Wang Qiu Dong* also obtained a convergent series for the 3-body problem. In his solution, he resolved the problem of collisions. Suppose the bodies do collide, then their trajectories could be affected and this prevents the series from converging. What Wang did was to introduce a measure of time that ran faster as two or more bodies approach each other, so that the collision would occur only at infinite time. However, again the convergence is too slow to be useful."

<http://members.fortunecity.com/kokhuitan/nbody.html> -- The stars of track and field, you are The stars of track and field, you are The stars of track and field are beautiful people