[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless Religious Right?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Sep 15 09:11:03 PDT 2004

BklynMagus wrote:

> Leftists advocate theory so much that they turn off the very
> people they are supposedly trying to cultivate. Take the advocacy
> for Nader as an example. Most Real Worlders see a campaign as
> trying to win an election. There are leftists, however, who say
> Nader's campaign is about sending a message (use Western Union)
> or bringing new issues to light (I don't see that happening, do you?).

Nader's campaign is an example of "politics as theater." It is getting radcial and progressive ideas into circulation, albeit not as effectively since the corporate-controlled Democrats have been fighting Nader tooth-and-nail (which shows in Kerry's falling poll numbers).

I'll just out that most people on this list would be supporting Nader's campaign if this was 2000. His campaign then was just as much about injecting ideas and issues into the political theater as it is now.

Chuck