[lbo-talk] Re:the market that dares not speak its name?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 09:20:06 PDT 2004

I suppose there are traces of that in Stalin's belief that homosexuality was "bourgeois decadence."

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 8:31 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re:the market that dares not speak its name?

> John Kozak wrote:
>
> >Doug Henwood writes:
> >
> >> There's a myth, going back to Roman times, that
gay men are
> >> affluent.
> >
> >Really? Was there even a social role equivalent to
our "gay man" back
> >then?
>
> I lifted that from Badgett. I suppose the
appropriate way of phrasing
> it was that men having sex with men was framed as a
vice of the upper
> classes. Obviously there weren't "gay men" in the
sense we think of
> it now.
>
> Doug

"I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978