[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless Religious Right?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Sep 15 10:47:30 PDT 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 11:44 AM, BklynMagus wrote:

> Huh? Anti-intellectualism is not disguised anti-Semitism. It is
> the pragmatic response to one of the worst forms of HIV --
> Human Intelligentsia Virus.

I may be overly suspicious, but I get a sense that a lot of the right-wing complaints about the "avant garde" nature of films, art, literature, etc., is really a comment on the influence of Jews in those fields. It's just that a lot of anti-Semites, even, are affected by political correctness these days.

> Anti-intellectualism is not anti-Semitism (still cannot figure that
> leap
> out), but the natural response to useless reams of theory.

I think a lot of theory is in fact useful, but it needs to be translated into forms that can be assimilated by folks who cannot read the usual academic tome, hundreds of pages long, with very abstract language, footnotes, etc. What we really need is more academic types who can write in popular language, as well as in the language they need for building up their C.V.s

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax