[lbo-talk] Health Care is Different

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu Sep 16 14:28:04 PDT 2004

jim, i think you're going a long way around saying that health care must be considered a right, like breathing. it's essential to life. without one's health, a person can't function, can't work, can't survive.

the best method of providing health care is a single payer system because it gives people choice. what govt is likely to do is what hillary tried, and thankfully failed, to accomplish: throw everyone into the arms of greedy, bottom line based HMOs who contribute to politician campaigns. remember her secret meetings with these public spirited citizens, on a par with cheney's secret meetings with energy moguls?

there's a fundamental disconnect between our politicians and reality that's for sure. our politicians -- our congress -- have their own health care system. we don't hear much about that from pundits, major media, the politicians, etc. their system is the one that should be extended to every citizen in the USA. but the initiative won't be coming from our "law makers" because they are very wealthy, privileged characters, most of whom don't live in the same world we do and could care less.

their apologists on this list may wake up when they, or someone they love, get a serious, long term illness. (heaven forbid.) but don't hold your breath.