[lbo-talk] now he tells us........

james at communistbanker.com james at communistbanker.com
Thu Sep 16 14:33:56 PDT 2004

--- "Dennis Redmond" <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> 3) Calling international law 'law' is a bit forced anyway. There are
> customs and practices and treaties, but there is no general will and no
> enforcer at the global level.

Of course there is - it's called the marketplace. -- DRR

I disagree strongly with this. The marketplace is not an enforcer, and is not equivalent to a general will. Rousseau distinguishes "the private will of the individual,tending only to his personal advantage; secondly, the common will of the magistrates, which is relative solely to the advantage of the prince ... [and thirdly] the will of the people or the sovereign will, which is general both in relation to the State regarded as the whole, and to the government regarded as a part of the whole." (p.235 in the Everyman edition of the Social Contract).

The marketplace relates to the first of these levels, that of private will. That is not to say that the economic and political spheres should be de-linked - on the contrary, the links should be made, both conceptually and politically (Ellen Wood summarises Marx's approach well in The Pristine Culture of Capitalism). But they should not be confused.

Rousseau also says, "The strongest is never strong enough to be always the master, unless he transforms strength into right, and obedience into duty" (p.184). This is true of the capitalist class and their state apparatus. Challenging both is imperative, but they should not be collapsed together. Confusing the marketplace with the general will collapses power into right. This negates the importance of ideology and makes challenging power, well, challenging.

Michael Dawson writes: “So the lack of robust institutions makes the idea silly? What a strange position for a "progressive" person to take. And it's also technically wrong, as well as politically awful, to pooh-pooh international law like this. There is a U.N. Charter. There are treaties. There is a World Court. There are the Geneva Conventions. Those are laws. Laws can exist without cops.” The lack of institutions is certainly problematic, but that’s not the basis of my criticism. I’ve written something longer to explain my argument through an example: http://www.communistbanker.com/Politics/kissinger.htm

He also says, “We need world government!” Now that I do agree with!

--James Greenstein