[lbo-talk] important party for NYC lbo-sters

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Thu Sep 16 14:39:26 PDT 2004

[For those in NYC - please come to this if you can. I'm on the board of the Brecht Forum,a critically important space for left thought and activism; we're moving to a new location, and very much in need of funds to do so. If you can't come, consider making a contribution...as we've previously discussed on this list, our movements are badly in need of spaces where sustained thinking as well as organizing can take place.]

The Brecht Forum 122 W. 27th St. 10th Fl. Betw. 6th and 7th Aves. 212.242.4201 www.brechtforum.org

Party BY the People! Party FOR the People!

Fundraiser for the Brecht Forum

Saturday, October 2 8pm-until? _____________________________________________________________________ Featuring the Welfare Poets, Fivetwelve (NMC),Dj Ayden (CR), Dj Carlito (VSC,Pro-Libertad), Dj Chris Maestro (Quilombo), DJ Eric Monse (JATO), DJ Kat Aaron (Rise Up Radio) _____________________________________________________________________ The Welfare Poets, La Lutta New Media Collective/Fivetwelve Collective, Desis Rising Up and Moving (DRUM), Critical Resistance, Rise up Radio, Quilombo Collective, Pro-Libertad, the Vieques Support Committee and Jews against the Occupation are helping us move. Join all of these groups in coming to our aid! The Brecht Forum WILL be moving and it'll cost. For 30 years we've served as a community space for political education and organizing, and as fiscal sponsor for dozens of projects getting off the ground. We've provided space for your meetings, trainings, reportbacks and fundraisers. Now we're calling on all of the organizations and activists who rely on us to not only help keep us afloat, but help us grow into a space that can serve the left better, for the long haul towards liberation!

We're partying:

*to thank all of you for all of the ways you've help us grow *to say goodbye to our 27th street space, which has served us all very well for ten years *and to raise money to afford the move and build our new home

We'll have scrumptious multi ethnic food, a raffle, performances and dancing with music including hip hop,funk, soul, meringue, salsa, house, underground and pop electro and more!

Some raffle prizes: *DJ Carlito will come and play at your party! (transport must be provided) *6 month wellness program valued at $1,500 + 5 initial health consultations which are valued at $50 each. www.Food4Health.org *two complementary tickets to a live music concert at Carlitos Cafe y Galeria and complementary house drinks too *signed copies of 'Breaking the Code of Good Intentions: Everyday Forms of Whiteness' by Melanie Bush and 'We Are Not What We Seem: Black Nationalism and Class Struggle in the American Century' by Rod Bush * 2 tickets to an October 22nd event with Howard Zinn, who's just edited a new book called Voices of a People's History of the United States. This event is a reading of selections from the book with Howard, Wally Shawn, and others.

Suggested Donation for Party: $8/$10/15