[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless religious right?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Sep 16 15:03:45 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> As compared to when - 10, 30, 100 years ago? And what evidence you are
> talking about. Data on religious affiliation shows a growth in
> evangelical/fundamentalist churches and no change (or a decline) in
> mainline ones.

Affiliation with a fundamentalist church does not equate to activity in grassroots politics. The trend is that churches are orienting more towards religious activities and serving as community centers, over involvement in right wing politics.

> I do not know by what stretch of imagination you consider the influence
> of religious right waning.

I don't imagine these things. I follow the religious right closely, which I have been doing for almost 20 years. I've tangled with them and I think I can make a conclusion from the evidence out there about their current state of inactivity.

Chuck0