[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless religious right?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Sep 16 20:18:49 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck, I'm afraid you're the one who isn't offering any evidence. You
> keep asserting this, but with no backup. When presented with evidence of
> the CR's influence, you just say "No!"

I presented some evidence several days ago. I explained that there hasn't been any grassroots activism coming out of the religious right. I pointed out that there has been a large membership drop in religious right organizations, including chapters that only existed on paper. I think I pointed out the lack of influence that religious right leaders exercise in the media. I pointed out the absence of religious right activism in the area of libraries. I mentioned Thomas Frank's book where he explains how the religious right lost the culture wars, an argument that has been confirmed by RR leaders such as Gary Bauer. I think that this argument about the RR losing the culture wars is supported by the facts. Today I mentioned the anecdotal evidence that megachurches in Kansas City are moving away from political activism.

I think I've supported my points. If people aren't satisfied, they are welcome to do their own research.

Chuck0