[lbo-talk] Re: Powerless religious right?

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Fri Sep 17 08:13:55 PDT 2004

At 11:47 PM 9/16/2004, you wrote:
>Thomas Wheeler wrote:
>
>>The religious right has certainly declined if you measure it primarily by
>>membership in some organizations and their influence appears to have
>>faded if you focus narrowly on the culture wars. But a broader analysis
>>shows they aren't exactly powerless. They've changed and adapted. I think
>>it would be foolish to write them off and naively assume they pose no
>>threat. - Tom
>
>I wouldn't say that they pose no threat, but that the grassroots movement
>that existed has certainly waned. Grassroots support and activism is what
>gives a movement power in the first place--we all know how easily
>astroturf campaigns can be defeated by real campaigns.

I though you said they were "dead and moribund" now they've waned but you wouldn't say they pose no threat? I believe a fundie would call that backsliding.

>The true test of the religious right's power might be seen after a loss by
>Bush. Ashcroft and other who have roots in the religious right may have
>power now, but what happens after they are booted from office.
>
>Chuck

So removing these assholes will prove your point but putting them in office does not disprove your point? Am I reading this correctly? Oh, which battles that have already been won do progressive continue to fight? If you posted an answer to this I missed it.

John Thornton