[lbo-talk] Million Worker March?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 18 06:21:55 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>As for the message of the Million Worker March, it's certainly not a
>one-issue mobilization, nor is it slickly packaged, unlike
>demonstrations organized by those who may be called "professional
>protest organizers," who tend to prefer a sharp focus on one simple
>message (e.g., against the Iraq war, against Bush, etc.). But
>that's because the Million Worker March is truly an expression of
>working-class radicals, who know that they aren't simply fighting
>against this war or this administration and would rather have a
>political party of their own but who have yet to make it an explicit
>demand.

Which is further support for the bad timing argument - if this were after the election, aside from not competing for limited attention with Nov 2, it would also have made for a sharper message: regardless of who wins, it's the same old pig system we have to organize against. Now, it'd be a pleasant surprise if 20,000 showed up. Sad.

Doug