[lbo-talk] light of my life, maybe not the fire of my loins

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 18 16:06:39 PDT 2004

Joanna wrote:

>Wo, mama! If this is what the Lolita girls are wearing...
> > <http://www.babyssb.co.jp/order/op/op.html> --
>..and I saw a grown woman wearing something like this, I'd think of
>only one thing: SEX, or to be more precise: FUCKING. Probably would
>wish I could grow a dick to do it.
>Backing off a bit, it looks like very high-price pussy. Probably
>have to marry it.

The Wall Street Journal article that Doug posted shows that men as well as women in Japan are not allured but repulsed by the "Lolita" look, which they seem to find creepy and freaky -- creepier and freakier than punk! -- rather than sexy, much less marriageable: "Despite the nation's reputation as a culture with a love of all things cute, many in mainstream Japan are contemptuous of the Lolita look. Fans of the style talk about being called stupid by strangers, getting mean looks and having chewing gum stuck to the backs of their dresses. Ms. Otani, the store clerk, says her clothes get so many stares that her boyfriend, who dresses in punk fashion, won't go out with her unless she wears something else" (Ginny Parker, "The Little-Girl Look Is Big in Japan Now -- Among the Brave 'Lolitas' Dress as Baby Dolls, And Take a Lot of Guff; 'This Is the Real Me' WSJ, September 17, 2004, <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040913/020622.html>). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>