[lbo-talk] Re: sadists "sick in the head"? (was light of my life, maybe not the fire of my loins)

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Sun Sep 19 09:37:35 PDT 2004

>--- Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Being a masochist or dominant or
>sadist is just as much a part of sexual orientation as
>being gay or
>lesbian.
>---
>
>No it isn't. Being a sadist means being turned on by
>causing pain, i.e., sick in the head.
>
>Chris Doss

Being a sadist does not mean you are mentally ill. I've known a few who were very nice and caring people. While there are certainly sadistic people who enjoy inflicting pain on others AGAINST their will in a relationship of dominance and submission where two CONSENTING adults use pain and discomfort to attain sexual satisfaction nobody is being forced to do anything against their will. This is a big distinction. Sadists can be sociopaths but it is not a requirement to be one in order to be a sadist. I think many more people are excited by S/M practices than feel comfortable admitting to.

John Thornton