[lbo-talk] Re: Irony of the Anybody But Nader Campaign

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 19 12:40:10 PDT 2004

Joe Smith wrote:

>Nader does talk about the same set of concerns on non-election years as he
>did when he visited Cuba in 2002 (see for example:
>http://www.counterpunch.org/cuba0715.html). The trouble is he doesn't get
>press coverage on off-years so we don't hear about it.

1) In *Cuba*? How is that relevant to U.S. politics? And how many Americans - even on the left - would be warmly disposed towards anything emanating from Cuba? Don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-Castro, far from it in fact - but I'll be most Greens are not very fond of the Cuban government.

2) Of course he's not going to get press coverage (though he'd get more of it than you or I would). No serious reformer or radical is ever going to get much press coverage, except to smear. You gotta work around that. But if almost none of the subscribers to this list heard about much of what Ralph did between 2001 and 2003, who did?

Doug