[lbo-talk] The Farce

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sun Sep 19 16:57:19 PDT 2004

From AxisofLogic.com

United States The Farce. New Zealand Laughing By Lance Broughton Sep 18, 2004, 08:07

"Those who own the country ought to govern it." John Jay

Living remote New Zealand, I can afford to laugh at the Presidential Election in the United States of panic-stricken people. The entire scenario is a farce of monumental proportions. On one hand you have the candidates spending millions of donated funds to preach to the already converted, and the other you have the complete lack of concern for the American people. US seems to stand for 'Utterly Stupid.' One gets more sense from Bart Simpson on TV. But I guess that's why the 'Simpsons' have lasted so long and America needs a new president every four years.

Forget democracy. It hasn't existed in the US for many years (sadly, NZ is going the same way.) It's a case of doing as you're told or suffer the consequences of official abuse. Any political system is on the rocks when an Arab looking family is jailed for taking video shots of a popular landmark. Have you seen the 'no photograph' signs on the Golden Gate bridge? Is every person taking holiday shots a potential terrorist? Come on, American! Your own government is the most powerful terrorist organisation the world has ever seen. You have more weapons of mass destruction in Iraq than the rest of the world put together. Since when has 'defending democracy' meant military invasions of harmless countries? Surely Arabs, Jews and Christians bleed when you blow them apart with WMD? Or did Shakespeare get that wrong?

As a Kiwi, I'm not sure of the difference between Republicans and Democrats. I think the aliens allegedly housed in Roswell New Mexico, make more sense than a bunch of hand-picked halfwits waving American flags amid acres of hot air balloons. Are political conventions really an excuse to act like mindless morons? The whole concept is so stupid, even the largely tame news media gave the conventions a miss. A visit to Disneyland is one thing, but to actually believe that Mickey Mouse is real, is another. Even my dog knows her food is kept in the fridge and not swinging from the chandeliers aping King Kong.

I have an American staying with me at the moment. He's glad to be out of the rat race. With his government turning its back on the people, it's not the same honesty and decency-based country that raised him. He wants to stay in Godzone for the rest of his life. He's a very talented electronic technician. His services are desperately needed here, but unfortunately we have non thinking bureaucrats the same as the US. Regrettably you have to be dumber than dumb to get a job as a civil servant in Godzone these days. Or at least allow yourself to be manipulated into following stupid rules without considering the consequences on society.

Despite my American friend being financially self-supporting, no doubt our Immigration Department will invent some reason to deny him permanent residency. Conceivably, they will decide that his American accent means he is unable to speak English. Like the US, Godzone is turning into a bureaucratic nightmare for Mr Average.

American political conventions are outmoded. The only purpose they serve is to spend money conning votes from the people who donated the money. Once the elections are over and the result fiddled, the people will again be treated with total contempt. In time, Martial Law will be declared using the threat of terrorism to suspend what's left of the Constitution. Providing of course, the election isn't suspended because Bin Laden was spotted smoking a cigarette in a bar in California. A smoking Bin Laden in the Terminators territory will be seen as proof of the pudding that the aliens are taking over the US. The sky will fall. No more apple pie or turkey on Thanksgiving. Enron will organise the finances and arrange the next invasion to defend democracy from non English speakers. Three cheers for Bush or Kerry. Is there any real difference?

Lance Broughton lbrought at globe.net.nz http://www.lbrought.com