[lbo-talk] Re: light of my life, maybe not the fire of my loins

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon Sep 20 07:17:22 PDT 2004

er, umm, maybe its just me, but wouldn't it help to separate the questions of 'fetish dressing' and 'the sexism etc., of japanese culture', or alternately to address the link in particular? i.e., w.r.t the link: any behaviour, "good" or "bad", arises in response to some biological or environmental impulse, yes? certain tribal women walk around topless, and elizabethan (or was it victorian?) unmarried women were expected to expose large sections of their breasts, IIRC. is the issue an abstract discussion of toplessness, or the particular issues of what lies behind such actions and who benefits, and who is exploited? (which is not to say that the particular issues may not point to a common shared abstract reason, but that should be a conclusion, not the premise, no?).

apologies if that's a naive redirection of the thread,

--ravi