[lbo-talk] lbo-talk] Re: light of my life, maybe not the fire of my loins

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Mon Sep 20 08:01:38 PDT 2004

People become obsessed by any number of personally gratifying activities to escape from an unhappy social reality -- religion, sex, drugs, shopping, etc. Kovel makes the point in relation to sadomasochism. The cultural revolution in sexual mores, probably the most enduring legacy of the 60s, was a liberating impulse, which is probably why it is largely taboo on the left to criticize taboo sexual practices in the same way it is acceptable to be critical of religious fervour, consumerism, and drug abuse.

MG

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Winslow" <egwinslow at rogers.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 8:43 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] lbo-talk] Re: light of my life,maybe not the fire of my loins