[lbo-talk] Re: DSM-IV and its Uses

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 20 17:42:57 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Joanna writes:

> If there had been one fifty years ago, it would have listed homosexuality
as an abberration, and then Brian would not be almost quoting from it.

Well, I will quote from it:

American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition. These criteria are listed in the Paraphilia section, pg. 525.

Diagnostic criteria for 302.83 Sexual Masochism:

A. Over a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors involving the act (real, not simulated) of being humiliated, beaten, bound or otherwise made to suffer.

B. The fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. Diagnostic criteria for 302.84 Sexual Sadism

As you can see, sexual sadism is not considered a disorder unless it causes "clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning." If you peruse the DSM-IV, you will notice that compulsive hand-washing is also considered a disorder when it causes "clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning."

Since the APA does not consider sexual sadism to be inherently a disorder, I am curious if any list members who consider sadism a disorder have any scientific evidence to back up their claims.

> The DSM-IV happens to be the current bible for insurance and social work
purposes.

Actually, the DSM-IV also has important uses in the legal profession and court cases.

Brian Dauth

Queer Buddhist Resister