[lbo-talk] Re: Sexual self-expression

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Tue Sep 21 08:47:14 PDT 2004

Brian asks:

> Ted writes:
>
>> Hic Rhodus, hic saltus.
>
> What does that mean?

In this context, it means if you have a valid argument make it.

This

> People also makes arguments that a personal
> relation with Jesus Christ is capable of producing
> the greatest pleasure.

isn't a valid argument. Nor is this

> What I still want to know about anyone's condemnation
> of the harmless sexual practices of consenting adults,
> whatever they may be, is Who Asked You?

as a response to this:

> Individuals who
> react to the idea of
> any relations, including sadomasochistic ones, with
> feelings of disgust
> or condemnation aren't fully autonomous. Such
> feelings, understood
> psychoanalytically, are expressions of unmastered
> instinct. They can
> also be expressed projectively i.e. by finding them
> in others where
> they don't exist.

A valid argument might be that premises leading to the conclusion that there's no way of determining whether the pleasure obtainable from sex with a corpse would be better or worse than the pleasure obtainable from sex within a relation of mutual recognition is a reductio ad absurdum.

You might have a look at the essay by Benjamin.

Ted