[lbo-talk] RE: Sexual self-expression

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Sep 21 09:54:50 PDT 2004

Why does the individual take such abuse from you? Pretty much none of what you write below makes sense. Why does a psychological theory have to explain every single individual? If you're right 99 percent of the time, isn't that a pretty good theory of anything? If not, why not?

Are you saying Freud was a crude materialist? Are you saying that the Theses on Feuerbach are some kind of unbetterable Rosetta Stone?

Surely, you're aware of the key role that anti-individualism played in Stalinism? Why is the individual so impenetrable? Is individuality just a fiction?

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 8:32 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] RE: Sexual self-expression

paul childs wrote:

> >We can never be quite sure whether the japanese
> >lolitas are following their "own" desire or that of some media
> >agent. Probably it is a mixture of both.
>
> Which was my point, desire manifests differently in Japan than it does in
Canada or anywhere else and reflects personal interpretation of social structures.

I would like to add that probably the "psychological" significance is not the same among different individual "lolitas." That is the problem in bringing in psychological analysis to explain social trends -- such analysis, it seems to me, seldom if ever escapes the vulgar 19th c. materialism (or "biologism") which informed Freud's original work. Any psychological principle applied to public affairs has to be absolute, because if it fails to explain _one_ person in the group being discussed there is no reason to assume it doesn't equally fail to explain most of the rest. Undoubtedly each lolita has her own private motives, which a psychologist studying her could uncover (or which she herself could explain even). But there is no reason to assume that what explains Lolita 1 also explains Lolita 2 (except, as I say, the vulgar materialism Marx identifies in the third and sixth Theses on F).

We can make a beginning of a social explanation of the general phenomena, but we can have no confidence that that applies to each individual history.

Carrol