[lbo-talk] US Campaign| Defend Academic Freedom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 21 10:34:51 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>When Muslims say "In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most
>Merciful" in letters and the like, my brain automatically translates
>it into "Greetings and Salutations!"

Do you do the same for Christians and their ritual speech? Wiccans, when they say "blessed be"?

This statement would be a lot more effective if it weren't seen as Muslim, but just a nondenominal statement in support of academic freedom. I don't need to go all soft on superstition just because it's the superstition of an oppressed group.

Doug