[lbo-talk] Godless Good?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 13:38:01 PDT 2004

> Carl Remick wrote:
>
> >I'm amazed that I even have to say this: to the extent that the
> >left is associated with Christianity or any other religion it isn't
> >a left at all -- it's magic thinking.
>
> Yeah, I'm tempted to say that the dependence of the U.S. left on
> alliances with the religious is a symptom of our weakness. And if we
> can't criticize the various superstitions, we're really limiting
> ourselves.
>
> Doug

Well, I was an atheist/agnostic from the ages of 15-40, and still a little bit after that, so I know the godless vibe. But this idea that pwogs are "limited" because they have to share space with those who believe in a spiritual realm is itself limiting. I've no prob with criticizing superstition, fundamentalism, what have you -- critical thinking is part of any active life, and there are those who "believe" who are dangerous when not foolish. But don't shove everyone who believes in something other than what can be immediately seen into the same revival tent. The Almighty Godless stance can be just as arrogant and ridiculous as the True Believer pose.

DP