[lbo-talk] US Campaign| Defend Academic Freedom

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:27:42 PDT 2004

Yoshie, what are you "organizing?" Your boring, predictable, unvisited blog? And how do you know my political history? I don't agree with your dogmas, so I can't possibly be an activist? I'd match my record of activism against yours any day.

As to ignorance, would that be by you or by me? Muslims have a small problem of fundamentalist intransigence, if you're willing to deal with reality, rather than political fantasy. And it's at least ironic that anybody would send around a petition for academic freedom and preface it with boilerplate fundamentalist phraseology.

Does the MSA accept secular egalitarianism at the level of public policy, or do they not? If they do, why do they start with their particular catchphrase in a petition for everybody's signature? Either leave your religion off the petition, or make it an intra-church petition.

Let's get religion out of politics.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Yoshie Furuhashi Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 12:22 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org; furuhashi.1 at osu.edu Subject: [lbo-talk] US Campaign| Defend Academic Freedom

>I am not going to sign any petition "In the name of God"
>Joanna

Do as you wish.

> >From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
> >I've been amazed that there should even be need of discussion of this.
>>Take away Christians from the left at the present time and there isn't
> >much left left.
>I'm amazed that I even have to say this: to the extent that the
>left is associated with Christianity or any other religion it isn't
>a left at all -- it's magic thinking.
>Carl

Joanna and Michael D. aren't organizers, so they don't need to work with religious people and can stay in their little worlds. I've forwarded the same US Campaign message to a number of listservs (from activist to scholarly), but this is the only place where such astonishingly ignorant statements as <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040920/021056. html> are made. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/> ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk