[lbo-talk] Philosophy of Science & Sex, Kink and Ick

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Sep 22 22:48:10 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>A major form of bourgeois art is devoted (how self-consciously I do not
>know) to dramatizing the ease with which the "superior part" of society
>can rise above the rest by transcending capitalism in their private
>life. That is the essential thrust, for example, of _Lost in
>Translation_, in which the central protagonists float easily above the
>"alienated" world about them, engendering similar illusions (or
>delusions) in the audience.

"Floats easily" is not an accurate description at all. How about "stays up all night very uneasily" and are completely unable to express or consummate a very real attraction. It seems that if anything the movie is an argument about the impossiblity of "rising above" in any actual way. Sort of like "Lady and the Dog" (Chekhov), but a hundred years later and even more pessimistic.

Joanna