[lbo-talk] Irrational exhuberance, eros and anarchy

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Sep 22 23:48:34 PDT 2004

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Hence the idea that that we have somehow
>overcome our ennui through an embrace of `fulfillment and adventure'
>is pure hypocrisy, and hence the strangely alienating quality to the
>phony boosterism.

Eleven million kids in the U.S.A. are on anti-depressants. I heard it tonight on some talk show.

Yes. Hamlet has a problem. Hamlet refuses to have a good time. He is preoccupied. His father just died, but nobody is grieving because they're too busy partying. But he just can't seem to get in a party mood. He wonders why he can't get it up like Fortinbras, why he is discomfited by the thought of using murder to avenge murder, why the death that levels all ...is so attractive.... And the guards march around at night guarding a den of drunken murderers, conspirators, spies and thieves. Who are they guarding them against? Other murderers, conspirators, and thieves.

Claudius is a cheerful guy though. He got his and now, by Gad, he's going to enjoy it.

Have you noticed that every memo you get from upper level management these days is just coming all over itself. They're "thrilled," they'e "excited;" everything is "awesome." It's too "wild." Now, why shouldn't they be thrilled, why shouldn't they be creaming in public? They're certainly grabbing everything that can be grabbed. Like, a San Francisco Chronicle columnist noted recently: "Where's your pension? It's in Aspen. It's in the Barbados. It's in Luxembourg. And it's not coming back." An ice David is pissing vodka for some cunt's 40th birthday, while an old lady freezes or boils to death because she can't afford her utility bill.

Open a Victoria's Secret catalogue. Open any catalogue for that matter. All the female models have those collagen inflated lips. No wrinkles because there isn't anything to frown or worry about, and a mouth that looks like it has just finished giving a blow job. And she enjoyed it. And she wants to do it again. Just for you. She leans back, pelvis thrust forward, megatits pointing up, up like the horns of a bull -- pero soave, calentitos -- It looks like she's just had the big O. Haven't you?

What's wrong with you anyway? Depressed? Unable to stand the thrill of the exuberant NOW? Have you not figured out yet that pain and pleasure are indisinguishable if you really, really focus?

Joanna