[lbo-talk] the petro-thusians/Schools

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 11:55:16 PDT 2004

Y'all are missing THE key factor in suburbanization, I believe. Schools.

I'm in the burbs (Evanston) because the Chicago Public Schools are terrible. Otherwise I'd been the city in a flash. This isn't a matter of racism -- we chose E'ton because it's more integrated than Chicago -- about 60w/40b, as opposed to 10w/90b&h -- and I don't think it is a matter of racism in most people's cases. Rather, they don't want to send their kids to schools that are even more underfunded than suburban schools and might be dangerous. Every single parent I know who moved from the city to burbs did so when they had a kid or when their kids reached school age.

This is not a problem they have so much in Europe, where schools are nationally financed and fairly equal in quality. It has to do with the localism and the property tax financing of education. A Belgian friend visiting here was nonplussed by the variation in the caliber of education from the city to the burbs, school quality is not a factor Belgians consider in choosing a place to live.

I think is strange that Americans should accede to social practices fixable by nonradical means the fixing of which would get them more of what they want, like property taxes for schools or privatized medicine. But I'm getting used to it.