[lbo-talk] The Cat Stevens Connection

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 14:00:57 PDT 2004

http://www.talkleft.com/ Thanks Silo, well put.

From the Mirror in the UK:

In 1988 he allegedly supported the death sentence ordered by Ayatollah Khomeini against Salman Rushdie for writing The Satanic Verses. Then, in 2000, he was thrown out of Israel amid allegations he was funding Hamas

militants. He angrily rejects both claims, but admits he has sometimes been too partisan.

"Look at Muhammad Ali," Yusuf says, running a hand through his trademark beard. "At one point he was so radical, then he became more balanced. So there's always a zealous period, especially when you're trying to get away from a certain condition which you feel you've been forced into, or which you have created for yourself.

"I used to want to rebel against everything and that was great, but alternatives need to be found and the greatest non-conformism is to conform, in my case with Islam. After that, you get back to the job of living.

"I started a family and I would say that was one of the biggest changes in my life. Now I have a son and four daughters, and that in itself is a fantastic achievement."

From his website:

``Upon my return to London, reports were already circulating that the Israeli authorities were trying to excuse their actions by linking me to terrorist groups,'' Islam said in a statement. ``I want to make sure that people are aware that I've never knowingly supported any terrorist groups - past, present or future. It's simply an attempt to cast doubt again on my character and good intentions.''

Islam - who as Cat Stevens who wrote such songs as ``Peace Train (Song)'' and ``Wild World (Song)'' - said that he is presently supporting orphans in Hebron, and all his donations in the past have been given to humanitarian causes.

Israel says that money designated for Hamas-backed charities often is diverted to the militant Islamic movement's guerrilla wing. Hebron is a Hamas stronghold. Posted by Jlvngstn at September 23, 2004 12:16 PM -- Michael Pugliese