[lbo-talk] Ruy Teixeira on why most of the polls are crap

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 23 15:53:58 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Doug:
>> But they're supposed to compensate for this in the weighting scheme,
>> or at least try to.
>>

>Doug, I think you put too much confidence in this whole business.

Not really - that's why I said "supposed to."

Election polls do have a pretty rigorous real-world test - the comparison of final results with actual votes (assuming those are counted more or less correctly). We'll soon see if this year's are any worse than earlier ones, and how the various houses stack up.

Doug