[lbo-talk] Re: Kink, Ick & the Left /sexual self-expression

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 24 16:02:23 PDT 2004

At 06:29 PM 9/24/2004, BklynMagus wrote:

>I found my position represented by this statement: "Some of us believe
>that we were
>born with a tendency toward being queer (or toward being hetero) but also
>had a degree
>of choice in the matter." Covers both genetics and choice. A pleasing
>Buddhist
>middle path.

Good for you. I'm not a Buddhist. I don't give a crap.

Again: don't say stuff like "desiring a woman is genetic". Rather, say, "for me, desiring a man is genetic."

> > compelled issue: you're missing the point.
>
>And that point is?

That your discourse, in its tendency to speak FOR everyone else is just mirroring the discourse of hetnormativity. You obviously don't mean to do this, so I'm giving you a head's up. It's pretty easy to alter your discourse to be more sensitive to the issues, _especially_ if you're trying to educator hets. I was annoyed because I've expressed my concerns before and yet you've continued to make claims about sexual desire being genetic as if it were gospel. It ain't. As the site noted, it tends to be a dominant discourse among gay males, while lesbians tend to view sexual identity as more fluid.

Now, I'm cranky from working about 260 hrs in three weeks, and I don't feel like being more diplomatic at the mo' but I hope you can take this in the spirit it was intended: constructive criticism.

>Brian Dauth
>Queer Buddhist Resister
>
>P.S. Wally Cox was known to have the biggest schlong in Hollywood/on
>Broadway.

awesome. have they made a dildo for him yet? my ex-partner and i used to like to take day trips/weekenders to various urban enclaves and hit the red light district. We always used to make bets on how many John Holmes dildos a sex shop would have. Then, he'd always want to buy one for his collection. When we got to the cashier's counter he'd say, really loudly, "NOw, honey, are you SURE this is the one you want?"

I actually have a hoot of a story about a recent trip to an erotica shop with current partner. The cashier and I got into a great conversation about contemporary academic theories of porn and whether dykes with huge dildo collections really want to be men. Sometimes, people who are queer are just so fucking heterosexist it slays me.

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'