[lbo-talk] Anti-suburban snobs

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 00:57:26 PDT 2004

Doug: 'It's one of the sleaziest, most dishonest books I've ever seen.'

Am I to take it that you have a better statistic for the price of oil, relative to wages? Or is this, like John's merely an ad hominem attack?

John:

'If it were costless for me to move to someplace where public transportation was first rate maybe I would not be forced to have a car but that is not the current reality.'

Poor you! Forced to live in the most affluent society in the world. Forced to consume more resources than anyone else. Forced to own a car. You really do have my sympathy.

Maybe it is a revelation to you, but billions of people get along without cars. They would be bemused to hear you complaining about the terrible riches that are wasted on you.

I think perhaps your fellow citizens might be a bit confused by your version of their lives, too. Would it not be more accurate to say that they bought cars because they were useful, and helped them to live their lives?

Your whole approach to life seems to be one where you are not responsible for anything you do. Who made this society where cars are force fed to the people?