[lbo-talk] Iraq's Oil

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 25 09:06:54 PDT 2004

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> (Well argued piece for oil as the driving factor in the invasion of Iraq.)
>
> Crude dudes
> By Linda McQuaig
> Toronto Star
> September 20, 2004
>
> U.S. oil companies just happened to have billions of dollars they wanted to
> invest....

How much money is sloshing around looking for a place to park?

U.S. Steel turned itself into Marathon. I imagine Exxon (or whatever it's called now) would willingly turn itself into X if necessary. Hence it would seem that those billions looking for oil reserves to invest in could be just as well described as billions looking for someplace, _anyplace_, to go.

Carrol