[lbo-talk] Queer Theory, was Re: Sex, Kink and Ick

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Sep 25 11:24:36 PDT 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 7:37 PM, snit snat wrote:

> If yer a lesbian/bi, maybe sex acts aren't always seen as ending with
> an orgasm!

Or if you're a straight, either. Sexually enlightened straights have known that for a long time now.

On Sep 24, 2004, at 7:37 PM, snit snat wrote:

> I _personally_ wish we could just insist on it being a choice and
> leave it at that. To me, it's just the most progressive demand. We
> want to be this way, we like it, we choose it. so fuck all y'all!

I also have often wondered why the case for gay liberation could not be put in those terms. I.e., there's nothing wrong with *wanting* to be gay, so lose the homophobia, already, folks!

Perhaps someone has done a focus group/polling survey and determined that gay liberation sells better if it's put in terms of biological necessity. Of course, the biological necessity position is also useful for arguing against the homophobes who continue to insist that homosexuality can be "cured" by some sort of therapy. But there again, one could just say: "Even if I could be cured, I just don't want to be. So back off with your 'therapy'!"

In any case, I think the reality of the matter is probably that homosexual vs. heterosexual orientation is pretty much genetically fixed for some people and not for others -- with a continuum in between.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax