[lbo-talk] Re: Queer Theory, was Re: Sex, Kink and Ick

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Sep 25 14:28:53 PDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Art McGee wrote:

> Stupid question that keeps nagging me:
>
> Starting with the beginning of time on earth, how could life
> have developed in a non-heterosexist way, yet still lead to
> consistent life creation in order to replace those who died?

All the questions Art poses conflate heterosexual sexual activity with heterosexism. The fact that people have sex with members of the opposite sex is not heterosexism in and of itself. We live in a heterosexist society if heterosexuals enjoy systematic benefits and advantages over other sexual identity groups.

Heterosexism is a structural aspect of society, and not simply the act of intercourse.

Taking this into account, all of Art's questions pretty much answer themselves.

Miles