[lbo-talk] MWM, take 2

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 26 09:18:39 PDT 2004

>Michael Dawson wrote:
>
>>Here's my question: Why not make the MWM a movement to generate a true MWM?
>>Why not spend a year or two recruiting enough people to actually put a
>>million workers in the street?
>
>Because one suspects the organizers wanted to be able to say: "see
>how in bed big labor is with the Dems!" So when the march turns out
>to be a trickle, they can justify it with a "told you so!" It's
>almost the definition of sectarianism.
>
>Doug

I'd think that it is sectarian for leftists such as yourself as well as the AFL-CIO and national anti-war coalitions not to mobilize for the Million Worker March, unless they believe the march's demands are out of keeping with their aim.

The Million Worker March organizers have worked hard for the AFL-CIO's and its constituent unions' support for the march, and it actually did receive the National Education Association's endorsement at its national convention:

The Resolution was introduced by 50 delegates. The key organizer was Andy Briggs of Los Angeles.

The NEA is the largest independent union in the United States with 2.7 million members and its endorsement and call for support represent a major advance in preparing for the Million Worker March."

Text of the NEA endorsement letter:

National Education Association Endorses Million Worker March July 7, 2004

The National Education Association (NEA), the largest independent union in the United States, has endorsed the Million Workers March, to be held October 17, 2004 in Washington, DC.

The NEA represents 2.7 million educators and educational support personnel across the country. The 12,000 delegates attending the annual Representative Assembly passed the following motion during its deliberations July 6, 2004:

NEA will endorse and publicize the Million Workers March, set for October 17, 2004 in Washington, DC; and encourage locals and members to attend and/or participate in any way possible, to support the reprioritization of federal spending to education, health care and other social programs.

Rationale: Unions and independent workers organizations across the country have endorsed and are mobilizing for the Million Worker March. This march will support the rights of all to organize for collective bargaining, a living wage for all, and immigrant rights, as well as condemning the attacks on organized labor, among other labor issues.

NEA now has joined with unions across the country, as well as many labor organizations and individuals, to endorse this historic national action to be held in the nation's capital this fall.

Contact: Andy Griggs, 310-704-3217 <http://www.millionworkermarch.org/article.php?id=53></blockquote> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>