[lbo-talk] Moscow steps up its reign of terror in Chechnya after Beslan

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 10:20:07 PDT 2004

I used to work with Tom Parfitt at the Russia Journal. Good to see he's at the Independent now!

That said, it is strange to see a civil war between Chechen clans (which is what is largely being described) depicted as "Russia's reign of terror," as if the Kremlin could control the Chechen clans.

Also, "After the 1994-96 war with Moscow, Chechen rebels made a fresh bid for independence in 1999 - a campaign quashed by Mr Putin to popular acclaim" is a strange way to describe a Chechnya-based invasion of Dagestan! How is that a "fresh bid for independence"? Actually Chechnya _was_ independent in 1999 de facto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=FGYAB1ZHMWUZHQFIQMFSM54AVCBQ0JVC?xml=/news/2004/09/26/wruss26.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/09/26/ixworld.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=16037